​Moving to Germany with a Blue Card​

Non-EU nationals require some form of residence permit if they plan to stay in Germany for longer than 12 months.
Note: If you plan to live and work in Germany for less than 12 months, or if you are not sure how long you will stay, check out our article on German work visas.

Table of content

What is an EU Blue Card?

The EU Blue Card is a residence permit for highly qualified non-EU nationals who wish to work in one of the EU member states, excluding Denmark and Ireland. It aims to make Europe a more attractive destination for professionals from outside the European Union. Here are the key aspects of the EU Blue Card, including eligibility criteria, benefits, application process, and potential reasons for rejection.

Eligibility Criteria for an EU Blue Card

What are the benefits of the EU Blue Card?

  • Family Reunification: The Blue Card offers easier conditions for family reunification, allowing spouses to work without restrictions or the need for German language skills.
  • Settlement Permit: After 33 months (or 21 months with German language skills at level B1) of employment and pension contributions, Blue Card holders can apply for a permanent settlement permit in Germany.

Where can you work with an EU Blue Card?

The Blue Card allows you to work in 25 of the 27 EU member states, with Denmark and Ireland being the exceptions. Countries like Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, and Sweden are among the destinations where Blue Card holders can work.

EU Blue Card - the Application Process

The application process for an EU Blue Card is different for every country. Member States are free to decide whether the application for the card must be made by the non-EU national and/or his or her employer. Most member states require applicants to make an appointment at the relevant consulates or diplomatic missions in their home countries; online applications are only provided by a few member states.

There are also some fees you need to pay for the EU Blue Card. The application fee for issuance is €140, and for renewal of the EU Blue Card is €100.

Do you already have health insurance?

In Germany, and many other EU countries, holding valid health insurance is a legal requirement for all residents, including EU Blue Card holders. Special expat rates and long-term insurance options are available through various providers.

At ottonova, we offer a special expat rate specifically tailored to their unique situation and can offer advice on visas and permits. Check out our tariffs and services!

Reasons for Rejection of the EU Blue Card

Applicants have the right to appeal a rejection within three weeks.

ottonova sales experts
HIER SCHREIBT ottonova sales experts

Our ottonova team of experts has over 40 years of experience in private health insurance and answers questions about it every day. What are old-age provisions and for whom does private health insurance make sense? What is the actuarial interest rate and which tariff is right for you? They know!

More interesting articles