How the German dental care system works
As with the wider German healthcare system, whether you have public or private health insurance determines the scope and standard of dental care you receive. In an effort to cut costs, the German government has chosen to exclude a range of dental treatments from public insurance coverage.
Many people with public health insurance consequently choose to take out supplemental dental insurance (Zahnzusatzversicherung).
ottonova offers a dental insurance plan with three different tariffs for you to choose from. All tariffs include super-fast invoice reimbursement, full coverage for dental treatment and immediate protection without waiting period.
➜ Check out our dental insurance plan!
If you take out private health insurance, dental will be included, but be careful – some insurers only offer limited coverage!
Quirks of the German dental care system
- Most dentists will issue a quotation called a Heil- und Kostenplan before performing treatment. If you have private insurance, you should present this to your insurer before undergoing treatment to make sure they will cover the costs.
- Statutory health insurance covers a dental checkup (Zahnuntersuchung) every six months and one polish and scale (Zahnreinigung) every year. Under private health insurance, regular visits may be required as a condition of covering more extensive dental work.
Dental coverage with ottonova
ottonova offers tariffs specially designed for expats, with transparent dental coverage as standard. Here’s a brief overview:
- Dental treatment – from checkups to fillings and root canals – is 100% covered, plus 1 or 2 professional dental cleaning sessions per year.
- We cover 80-100% of the costs for implants such as crowns, dentures and bridges, depending on your chosen tariff.
- For orthodontics – i.e. braces to correct a misaligned jaw and/or teeth – we cover up to 100% of the costs for patients under 21 and 60-100% of the costs for adults.
Check out now the expat tariff of the ottonova private health insurance!
Or are you more interested in a top-up dental insurance? Top-up dental insurance is useful for people with public health insurance. Costs of dental treatments can be very expensive, especially when it comes to dental prostheses. Public health insurance does not fully cover all of the costs.
ottonova's top-up dental insurance offers immediate coverage, a reimbursement within 48h and real-time support in English. Check out the ottonova top-up dental insurance now!