Home healthcare is medical care and domestic assistance for people unable to care for themselves
Home healthcare comprises basic care, medical treatment and domestic assistance.
In the German public (statutory) health insurance system, insured persons may receive care at home (or in another suitable location) in addition to medical care if:
- hospital-based care is not possible,
- home healthcare can replace or shorten a hospital stay, or
- home healthcare is necessary to achieve the treatment goal.
Home healthcare provision in the private health insurance system can vary depending on the insurance provider and tariff you select – so be sure to examine your policy carefully.
In both systems, patients must satisfy at least the two following conditions to qualify:
- The insured person must not be able to care for themselves and there must be nobody in their house who can adequately care for them.
- The insurance provider concerned must see an official letter from a doctor advising home healthcare.
Home healthcare is provided by the nursing service contracted by the respective insurance provider.